Sunday, November 4, 2012

What if there was no Halloween?


Hopefully you are seeing an end to Halloween sugar highs.  Have you even had the chance to remove those stinky pumpkins and shedding fake spider webs from your front porch yet?  Especially now that Halloween is over, we all know how dear, fun, and memorable this holiday is.  What would you do if you moved far away to Switzerland where there is no Halloween for your young children?

Back yard 2004

Much to my ignorance and surprise everyone in the world does not celebrate October 31st.  How did I miss that in history class?  I simply never considered that others do not do what we do on October 31st.  From my egocentric vantage point it was truly a disappointing surprise. 
   
So, I decided to deliver Halloween treats to our little Swiss village. The Swiss are much like their clocks.  You set the time and you stick to it and you never ever show up unannounced or uninvited.  Honestly I selfishly wanted our small children to have fond memories like I do of dressing up and eating loads of sweets.  I politely made appointments with our friends and neighbors asking if we could quickly stop by to bring them a little American Halloween tradition.  We dressed up, put the children in our ATV Radio Flyer, rang their bells, and delivered sweets.  You know those lollipop ghosts with a tissue and a marker face.  We made like 80.  Max and Emory were 2 and 4 so they loved passing out candy ghosts to their friends especially in full costume.  We were graciously received and brought smiles to all who were not too confused by well…us.

We walked back up the steep hill towards home.  I realized in my “tiny Mom world” it made me so happy to keep a bit of normalcy and tradition alive for our children.  We were so far away from our normal anything.  Apparently it made the recipients of our wonky toddler made tissue ghosts happy too.  In the morning there were pouches of chocolate, happy notes, boxes of cookies, and gifts all beautifully wrapped on our door stoop.  The Swiss locals did not get it, but they really did support us in a sweet, very real way.  This still warms my heart thinking about how you don’t necessarily need to understand but sometimes you just give a little anyway.