Thursday, February 28, 2013

Trading in her suit and heels for HAPPY.


 There is a special person I want to share with you.  She is an artist local to me in Saint Louis.  What impresses me most about her is that she traded a suit and heels for an apron and clogs.  Now she happily creates mixed media art work. I consider her to be a truly successful artist, which is a difficult feat.

In like 10 years since deciding to change courses mixed media artist Mary Beth Shaw has written a book. A for real published book, “Flavor for Mixed Media”. She has built a strong patronage.  She travels the globe teaching a variety of classes in fab places like France and Caribbean cruise ships. Then started a company, Stencil Girl, stencilgirlproducts.com where she produces and sells stencil patterns designed by different artists.  Now Mary Beth has been asked to write another book.
Mary Beth's Book

Mary Beth Shaw in her studio.
 Greg Barth Photography

"Total Mix Up" mixed media by Mary Beth Shaw

As a Southerner via Switzerland I often feel like long distance moves have forced me to completely start over.  I simply can’t figure out how Mary Beth is known to run with scissors, endorse Funyuns and Blow Pops as appetizers, yet she trumps the business end of an art career.  So I asked her…

What has been your biggest breakthrough in selling you work?
I spent a number of years doing the outdoor art fair circuit. After spending a lot of time trying to figure out what my audience might want, I have decided the most important thing is for me to make art from my soul. Somehow the audience usually 'gets it' and that work is the most successful.
What is your secret to being such a sought after teacher?
A spirit of sharing is quite important. I don't hold back with my students and often receive feedback from them recognizing this. I try to create a supportive and safe environment where students can be free to experiment and play. The greatest gift for me (as a teacher) is to witness a student's success in finding their own voice.
What helps you create a voice as a writer?
Authenticity, I have to be true and honest or it just doesn't work.
Does ‘the business’ ever get in the way of creating with your heart?
Wow, seems like you crawled into my head with this question. Yes, this has happened to me before and it requires me to stop and regroup. Kind of like my visual art as my soul work. 
What is your biggest frustration with making all this happen?
Time is always my frustration, just not enough of it. I could seriously use at least one more day every week.
To me you have many jobs and manage to pull it all together brilliantly.  My point with this passage is that for us to see artistic success.  It is personality, great work, and a combination of business discipline.  Would you agree?  It’s totally ok if you want to pass or simply don’t have time to answer my questions. I just think the thing you have going on is inspiring to others like me who are trying to make something happen without getting lost.

Passion is my driving emotion. I have a lot of passion for life in general and certainly for my art. And of course 'behind the scenes' is not quite as brilliant as you might imagine. There are missteps along the way, but I try to accept them as valuable lessons for growth. 
So that is all, I hope that somewhere in this passage a journey of creative success can inspire you to go for whatever is next for you. I sincerely encourage you to embrace your own possibilities,
Dawson